Breaking News

Wednesday 26 October 2016

Yolanda, the ballet instructor with a heart and a mission.


























Yolanda
, the ballet instructor with a heart and a mission.
Interview by Stella Matilda | Photograph by Donny Lai





1.TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOURSELF?
A ballet instructor who has a vision that can bring Sabahan ballerinas towards the International level such as to perform professionally as a Ballet Artist on world stage. Being a Managing Director of Yolanda Dance Studio, for myself, working alone can only bring me a short distance but working as a team, such as I am building now can go far beyond what we expected.

2. WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST CHALLENGES YOU FACE AS A BALLET TEACHER?
Holding some big responsibilities on educating all of my students and building their passion for dancing is not as easy as learning ABC. It is quite a challenge to be nonstop encouraging my students and, at the same time, motivating myself.

3. WHO IS YOUR ROLE MODEL?
Beth James is always my role model. She is the Director of The Conservatoire of Classical Ballet in Perth, Western Australia. During my stay in Australia, she has been continuously supporting my everyday training, building up my confidence and stimulating my dancing skills.

Once she told me “If you have the flexibility but with no strength, you are imperfect”, “If you have strength but with no flexibility, you are also imperfect” “So you must have both”.

4. WHO INSPIRED YOU TO PURSUE YOUR DREAM?
My beloved parents. They have encouraged me since I was very young. They not only supported me financially but also physically and spiritually. On December 2015, I received Yolanda Dance Studio as my Christmas present from my dad. My dearest mom has tailored made all of my ballet costumes. I appreciate every gift from my parents.






5. THEY ARE MANY YOUNG CHILDREN WHO DESIRE TO BE A BALLERINA, WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE TO THESE CHILDREN AND THEIR PARENTS?

To become a ballerina, you must show your commitment towards your training, be well prepared before the class starts, always wear a positive attitude at every correction and enjoy the very moment in class. “Dare to dream, then you’ll achieve”.





6. WHAT DO YOU WISH TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SOCIETY IN THE FUTURE?

I wish to give opportunities to all the children who have always wanted to learn ballet but are facing poverty. For example, conducting ballet lessons to single parents’ families and in orphanages. Also, I wish to support the needy in terms of a Scholarship to further their Ballet Dream to a higher level.







Yolanda Dance Studio is located at Plaza 333 and currently offering a wide range of classes for ages from 3 years old and above. They also have just launched Ballet Boys for their January 2017 in-take.

Should you need more information, please do not hesitate to contact Yolanda at 016-831 1570 or simply visit her studio.

Don't forget to follow her on Facebook for more updates and information!

www.facebook.com/yolandadancestudiokk