Breaking News

Saturday 20 February 2016

Allen Solomon on spending priceless time with his daughter Alana


Interview by Stella Matilda | Photo by Vosper Photography 


Allen Solomon, 33, Degree in Architecture but followed his passion in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) for the past 3 years.

It all started when his dad enrolled him for a Taek Kwan-Do training when he was only 6 years old. Soon he diversified his skills into Karate at 12, then Fencing at 15, and then Brazilian Ju-Jitsu (BJJ) at 23.

His wife, Caroline Anthony whom he met at a martial arts tournament share the same interest as him. She has a black belt in Taek Kwan-Do and blue belt in BJJ. “At home, she is my red belt”, says Allen.

He plans to continue fighting for another 3 yrs, but not sure if he wants Alana to see him fight in cage.  “They say your subconscious is a product of your surroundings, but my earliest memories in life is about 2-3 yrs old. So our job as parents is to build memories for our kids. i take that job seriously”, says Allen 



How does it feel to be a daddy for the first time?

My mindset went from thinking about what I’m going do in the next 5 minutes to what I’m going do in the next 10 years. I had a hair cut (because of Alana). Now, I am now looking for places to buy a shotgun! (giggles)

What is the best thing about being a dad?

I find that I have better focus now, and that time is very very limited. So I learn to maximize everything I do so I can spend more time with those chipmunk cheeks on my daughter. Time spent with her is priceless. She is very sharing. Always giving me a bite of her food. I melt everytime.

What is the hardest?

I think I worry too much for no good reason. I’m devolving into a very traditional dad. I plan to change that and try to be that cool dad that all my friends had growing up.

What is the funniest thing ever happened to you as a dad?

My daughter seems to be a natural at trolling me. Everytime she sees a photo of a monkey, she goes “papa”- its her first words. I think I’m making her spend too much time with me in the dojo.

Do you think your daughter loves MMA or are you trying to get her into MMA?

I’m am definitely NOT letting her do MMA. Her mom seems to have other ideas. I don't wanna get anxiety attacks. I dont know, I love her, she can do whatever she wants. But I’m gonna have the last say :P

Would you like more children?

I’m looking at my wife right now, raising my eyebrows and coyly saying yessssss.

Tell us a little bit about your childhood.

(Laughs out loud) I was born in Scotland, raised in Sabah, and studied in Australia. I’m very confused and lost as a kid.

What are your hopes and dreams for your daughter?

Like every other parent, I wish her to find success and elevate herself higher that what her predecessors have achieved. The next generation will always do better. I plan to compound that effect.


Featured Daddy | Issue No.2 | Page 62